Tehilim1

Tehilim1
Hold On To The Written Torah

Friday, September 7, 2012

Truth and Light


Words can bring strength and gladness or fear and dread. We need to be mindful of the words that come into our Nefesh (Soul). We need to examine them to see if they are true about us or not. Do the words that are said by others have the sound of truth and bring us to a place of encouragement or do their words have the feeling of dread and darkness? Do the words we say about ourselves bring us closer to the light of truth, or do they drag us down into the darkness of despair?
Try to remember a time in your life when someone said something positive about you and how great you felt. Did the time and place immediately jump to the front of your mind? Did you suddenly feel the rush of exhilaration at the memory? If so, congratulations you are doing quite well and need to keep in touch with those positive uplifting people, but if you are having trouble remembering a time in your life when someone really encouraged you, be at peace and know that there are a lot of us in that situation. So what can we say about this dilemma? We can say I will be the one to give myself the positive affirmation I want to hear. What? That sounds awfully self-centered doesn’t it? In the extreme, any self talk can become a source for self centered thoughts, but if we are careful and keep in mind that we can only change ourselves and not others we can begin to shape our thoughts into a positive stream of great mental behavior.
What I found myself doing was trying to figure out what I wanted to hear and then how I wanted to feel. The first thing I wanted to hear was that I’m a great artist, so I began to say out loud, “I’m a great artist”. Now with that kind of statement I wanted to make sure that I at least had some talent or ability so I decided to show my work to a few people I could trust to be honest about my work. They all agreed that I was a good artist and one of them even said my art was great! Right then I realized that the positive self talk combined with the decision to timidly reach out and show my art to some one resulted in gaining the words I wanted to hear. I was able to shine the light of truth into my Nefesh.
Now that experience was wonderful but I also realized that I still had to work on my belief system and learn how to mentally defend myself against the doubters and the dream stealers. How tragic it is that there will always be negative and abusive people in the world. So we need to always be building our positive internal word arsenal so that when the deceit peddlers come against us we are ready to say no to their bill of lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment