Tehilim1

Tehilim1
Hold On To The Written Torah

Monday, September 10, 2012

Words we say to others


Words that we say about others are just as important as the words we say to ourselves. I discovered a long while ago that the way I viewed others was a reflection of how I felt about myself. For example; if I thought someone was speaking a negative word about themselves I found myself getting upset with that person. I came to understand that I have had a tendency to speak negatively about myself which I then got upset with myself about. Therefore what I was upset about within me became a sticking point for me with others. So it would make sense that the less negative I spoke about myself the less I will be affected by the way others talk about themselves.
So now with all of that wisdom flowing within me, if I hear someone talking negative about themselves, instead of getting upset with them I can offer them a word of encouragement.
If I hadn’t dealt with my own internal situation it would be difficult for me to be in the place were I can offer words of light and truth to others. So I would like to offer these words of encouragement to you. You do have a choice as to the way you speak to those around you. You can offer up words that will bring a person to the heights of confidence or cast them down upon the jagged rocks of despair. This may sound contradictory to the true statement “we can’t change anyone else, we can only change ourselves” but lets look at it in this light; we can, with our words have slight influences on the people we come in contact with. It is not that we are trying to change others rather we are trying to change the way we ourselves interact with others. This brings to mind Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. The word fitly in this reference means in a timely manner or at the appropriate time. We can see that if we use a positive word at the appropriate time that the word is as precious as silver and gold.
With that in mind when we interact with others let’s try to lead with a positive uplifting word and remember that like us others need encouragement as well.         

No comments:

Post a Comment